Have you ever looked in the mirror and wished you had a brighter smile, or maybe had a conversation with someone and their pearly whites caught your attention? After years of coffee, tea, wine, etc., the effects may be showing in your teeth, but the good news is our professional whitening services at BodyBrite Austin can help you achieve just the right glow you’re looking for in no time. Keep reading to learn more!
What Is Teeth Whitening?
Consider teeth whitening as a bleaching method that removes stains on the dentin layer of your tooth enamel — not the surface layer that you can feel and touch, but the layer that gives your tooth its color. The enamel layer above the dentin layer is porous, meaning particles can slip through over the years and cause discoloration.
How It Works
BodyBrite Austin uses a whitening gel with cutting-edge blue light-emitting diode (LED) technology. Blue LED is a cold light that cannot burn soft tissue. Though the light is cold, the LEDs get hot, so the light treatment has the ability to raise the temperature of the gel activating the whitening process. And the great thing is the treatment is safe to repeat every three months.
What to Expect Within Three Sessions:
- First session: The pores of the enamel are opened, allowing the whitening gel to penetrate the teeth, but very little, if any, whitening occurs.
- Second session: Now that the pores are opened, the gel quickly penetrates tooth enamel now and some visible whitening will occur.
- Third session: Maximum whitening results are achieved.
Teeth Whitening Aftercare
Keep in mind that long-lasting results depend on personal habits and the porosity of your teeth. Tooth sensitivity is very uncommon, but there’s a possibility heightened sensitivity may occur within the first 24–48 hours. If so, it’s suggested to use Sensodyne™ toothpaste to help soothe any discomfort.
In addition, there are some needed steps to consider when it comes to what to do after teeth whitening treatment. That 24–48 hour window is crucial for what food and beverages you consume, as well as the application of makeup. Avoid any food or staining agent that may cause discoloration, and that includes not wearing lipstick.
For Some Guidelines, Avoid the Following:
- Drinks: tea, coffee, cola, juice, carbonated drinks
- Alcohol: red wine, beer, brown liquor
- Meats: red meat, breaded meat
- Starch: No bread (including white bread), wheat cereal
- Sauces: red sauce, curry, chili
- Vegetables: carrots, corn, broccoli, tomatoes, peas, lettuce
- Dairy: butter, margarine, orange cheese
- Fruit: all fruit, except bananas
- Sweets: chocolate, sweets in general
This is important because the pores of your enamel are open, which makes your teeth vulnerable to stains. After that 24–48 hour window, pores will close after treatment and you can resume normal habits.
Schedule Your Consultation
If you have questions about teeth whitening or want to learn more about BodyBrite Austin’s professional services for your next-level smile needs, please sign up to schedule your free consultation. One of our team members would be happy to meet with you!